Sunday, May 6, 2007

April snow brings May flowers??

It looks like the old saying is true since there are a lot of flowers popping up in our back yard. I may just be the worlds worst gardener. I can't think of a single plant I have been able to keep alive. I sure am going to try my best though!

To any gardeners out there, let me know if you can identify any of these:

Pink flowering bush/tree:


Close up of the flowers growing on it:


Pretty purple flowers (or a weed..I wouldn't know the difference):


Red things starting to emerge:


Not sure:


Not sure about these either:


The world's scariest bush/plant. It is climbing up a lattice on the side of our house. This is what it looks like dead, but there are some green things starting to grow on the ends of it:

1 comment:

Astrid said...

From Stephen:

1/2) Possibly a flowering Crabapple, he thinks the flowers are to big to be a NanKing Cherry, our flowering crab is on the north side of the house and isn't blooming yet

3)Violets

4)Peonie (you'll need a cage to go around this so it doesn't fall over when the flowers bloom

5) Big ones are Tulips and the small ones look like Crocuses

6) Not sure ... Not a Clematis or Maple tree!

you'll need to get the book - The Calgary Gardener (http://www.heritagehouse.ca/fifthhouse/calgarygardnervol1.htm)