
I'm not one to get involved in politics, or heated debates about policy. I did vote in the provincial election. My view is that we have the right to vote, so I should. Although, after voting and watching the election results come in, I did wonder why I even bothered.
Last night we were watching the news and a story came on that really bothered me. Last December a man drove his cement truck into a car waiting at a red light and killed all 5 people inside (2 adults, 3 kids). Impaired driving is suspected, however he refused to take a breathalyzer. He has 5 counts of manslaughter and 5 counts of criminal negligence causing death against him. To keep a long story short, he pleaded guilty and is now out on bail. The kicker is that his trial date is set for March 2009!!! He will be living free for an entire year. That just seems so wrong to me.
Only in Canada could someone kill 5 people and not go straight to jail. It infuriated me, and so I wrote my first ever letter to the Prime Minister. I asked Brent who I should complain to, and he said to go straight to the top! They are the ones who make the criminal code after all. I can't believe how lenient our system is. Brent's line of work has also opened my eyes to how slack our system is. I told him, I may as well rob a bank and sit at home and bask in my riches while on house arrest. (being sarcastic of course)
So, Mr. Prime Minister, whether you read my letter or not, I hope that you are working on changing a few things. My suggestions are: making breathalyzers mandatory if police suspect impaired driving and tougher bail criteria.
There...my first ever political rant!
1 comment:
Jen:
You're full of surprises! Tell ya what, you make a run for any political office, and I'll vote for you.
As to the law & justice, well, I've a father & two uncles who were cops, so I hear you.
Keep meaning to call for coffee...
Your Geological Relation.
P.S. Re: Xmas; Truth or Lie: I share the same hairdresser as your mom?
Post a Comment