Friday, August 7, 2009

Change of Pace

After being in limbo for months, Brent and I finally made the decision that I'm going to stay home with Eli. Not forever, but for a while. I was looking for a job (admittidly, not as hard as I could have) but companies just are not hiring geologists right now. Sure, the odd geologist here and there found work, but in general, most companies are not hiring geologists. I found myself in this wierd place where I was looking for a job, but not at the same time. So, it feels great to finally have made a decision. I'm excited for the next few years and feel lucky that I can be home with Eli.

That being said, it is a huge change. Just the change of pace itself has been an adjustment. I went from fast paced, deadlines, and stress to literally stopping to smell the roses, and feel the leaves, touch the dirt, examine every stick on the ground. What I could do in 5 minutes at work (write an email) takes me 20 at home. At work I could start something and finish it, at home it feels like I start something and it never gets finished, or gets undone as soon as I finish it. It's so different, but I love it. Sure, I get frustrated and the days are still long (longer actually, but no commute downtown which I don't miss AT ALL), but learning to slow down and relish all the little things has been good for me. So what if my house is a disaster now, I don't have to wear work clothes! I'm a little nervous about trying to get back into a job in a few years, but I can't be the first woman to ever have get back into the industry after taking some time off. I'm sure it won't be easy, but definatley not impossible. In the mean time, I'm still learning but from a new boss, who is a lot shorter than my previous one. ;)

3 comments:

Astrid said...

yeah! If only I could figure out how to sleep in again - life would be perfect!

Anonymous said...

Good for you!
Jacqueline

Kris and Krista Jewett said...

A friend of ours is going back into the industry after raising kids for 12 years! I feel the same way sometimes about taking 1 year off...